Thursday 8 March 2012

Why?

Since my friends in Halifax Presbytery did me the huge honour of nominating me tothe position of moderator of the United Church, lots of people have been asking me "why?" The questions come from a variety of sources and the content of that simple word varies, depending on whether the questioner is inside or outside the church, involved in the courts of the church or not. So why?

There is a certain element of gratitude in my answer "Yes" to the invitation to consider this call. The United Church has been my lifetime home and it has been very good to me. Like any living and vital relationship, this one has had moments of joy as well as tension. Certainly more of the former! This church has given me opportunities to grow and stretch my mind and spirit in ways I could never have anticipated. First and foremost I have worked alongside wonderful individuals in congregations. I really do believe that most United Church folk do love God, self and neighbour and are not content to settle for "two out of three ain't bad." Like any human institution we have our own share of "personalities" - some of whom can be quite destructive. If we have a besetting organizational "sin" it is our habitual Canadian niceness that does not call bullies on their behaviour. That leads to a deterioration of the entire body. However, I firmly believe that the bullies are in the minority and, often, when I have been the one to confront them, I have felt the support of the others in the community. But my experience of the church has been very positive.

The same is true of my working relationships with committees and task groups at every level. I can't imagine another opportunity that would allow me to sit around the table with some of the brightest minds wrestling on issues of authority and interpretation of scripture. Or allow me to be part of a group going to Brazil to learn about the reading of scripture by the most marginalized and how a Methodist University puts gospel and justice together in its requirements for every professional graduate. Or to be trusted to preside over the life of a presbytery (two different locations) or a conference as this group does its work and sorts out its priorities. Again, wonderful people and amazing opportunities.

So when the suggestion was made that I consider this call, gratitude and the opportunity to give back played a part in my response. I have to be frank: I don't feel a strong call to be moderator. I do feel a divine compulsion to offer myself to the church for consideration for the role. What's the difference? Well, I have known people who felt called to be moderator and were devastated when the General Council elected someone else. They felt betrayed by God and peers! I feel drawn to offer to the church the combination of gifts, skills, experience and vision that I carry. If the General Council sees those as being what our church needs at the moment, I am quite prepared to serve as moderator with every resource I can bring to bear. If the GC decides otherwise, I will be delighted to return to my interim ministry appointment where I feel we are doing important and life-giving work.

Why say yes? I believe passionately in the United Church. I believe in the vision that our founding mothers and fathers had of a uniquely Canadian Christian community, rooted in the historic, living and intellectually credible Christian tradition and, at the same time, responsive to the unique challenges of our particular context. I believe in the calling of the United Church to partner in building and sustaining a more just and peaceful society. Why now? I was nominated from the floor of General Council 40, with only a very few hours to consider the privilege presented to me. Clearly that was not the right time, but the invitation to consider this role has continued and, in terms of my personal, family and professional life, this is right time to respond to that call and offer myself to the General Council to discern together the future.

I offer to the Church a life time membership of engagement with our mission and ministry, our history and convictions as well as a keen commitment to the incredible strength of our denominational tradition and calling. I offer the experiences of many years of service in different roles at every level of our life together. As a leader in the courts of the church I have considerable experience in drawing together differing commitments and visions. I also bring insight into the rich resources and very real challenges that are part of our current context. I have experience in interfaith work and in working with non-faith groups on community projects. I am excited by the possibility of encouraging the church - locally, regionally and nationally - to grasp with hope the journey ahead of us. That's why I said "yes"

No comments:

Post a Comment