Tuesday 31 March 2020

Choosing Isolation – St. Clare


In a time when physical distancing is our temporary new norm, it might be helpful to consider some folks from our history who chose separation as a means of greater connection with the Holy.  One of those is St. Clare of Assisi.
According to tradition, Clare was born into a wealthy and traditionally powerful family in 1194.  Like many girls and young women of her time, her future was largely controlled by others, and would normally have involved marriage and motherhood. Rejecting that, after hearing Francis of Assisi preach during the season of Lent, she approached him for help to live in the Gospel way.  On Palm Sunday, 1212, she and two companions met Francis, her hair was cut, and she donned a simple gown.  Needless to say, her father was not pleased with this show of will and tried to drag her back home to be married. Through the years, she requested to be moved from one monastery to another in search of greater poverty and solitude.  Other women joined her and the company was first known as the “Poor Ladies of San Damiano” and later as the “Poor Clares.” After her death it become known as the “Order of St. Clare.” The nuns went barefoot, slept on the ground, ate no meat and observed almost complete silence.

Here, for your consideration and use, are a couple of her prayers. 

I Come, O Lord

I come, O Lord, unto Your sanctuary to see the life and food of my soul. As I hope in You, O Lord, inspire me with that confidence which brings me to Your holy mountain. Permit me, Divine Jesus, to come closer to You, that my whole soul may do homage to the greatness of Your majesty; that my heart, with its tenderest affections, may acknowledge Thine infinite love; that my memory may dwell on the admirable mysteries here renewed every day, and that the sacrifice of my whole being may accompany Thine.

Blessing

What you hold may you always hold.
What you do, may you always do and never abandon.
But with swift pace, light step and unswerving feet,
so that even your steps stir up no dust,
Go forward, the spirit of our God has called you.

Behold, Hold and Enfold


I behold the Lord.
I see His outstretched hands.
I see the blood from His wounds.
I see the love in the eyes of Jesus.
I see His gracious acceptance of me.


Jesus has come out of the tomb –
He still has the scars, but now they are glorious, with the glory of heaven.
Still looking at the Lord, I reach out and touch Him.
I hold the Lord – and I am held in His love.
Love enfolds.
It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me.
I am secure in the Lord.
I can look out, now, through the Lord’s eyes.
I can see the world as He created it, in His mercy,
I can see my sisters and brothers with His love,
and I can worship the Father through the eyes of the Son
in the Love of the Holy Spirit.
(Prayers of St Clare of Assisi)

©2020 I Ross Bartlett

www.irossbartlett.com

No comments:

Post a Comment